If you have an outdoor generator, you may have found that it can be a bit of an eyesore. In addition, the noise it produces can be a nuisance for you and your neighbors.
Luckily, there are several ways to hide an outdoor generator and minimize its visual and audible impact. In this article, we’ll explore some creative ways to hide your generator and offer some tips for maintaining it once it’s concealed.
Considerations for Hiding an Outdoor Generator
Before we dive into some ideas for hiding your generator, it’s important to consider some key factors.
Ensure proper Ventilation
First and foremost, you’ll need to ensure that your generator has proper ventilation and is easily accessible for maintenance.
Diesel, propane, and gasoline are the most common fuel for generators. Generators produce electricity by burning fuel. Carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide is the by-product of the generator. You know, both carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide could be lethal for humans as well as for animals.
So, you should ensure proper aeration and space inside the camouflage of the generator.
Don’t break the law
Before installing the camouflage for the standby generator, make sure you don’t violate any laws. an outdoor generator is a powerful unit that produces huge power to power up your whole house during power wattage. So, be careful about maintenance.
Dont forget the security
Security is another concern to keep a generator outside. You could use an anti-theft lock and shed to protect your generator. Also, a shed will protect your generator from rough weather.
Dont forget your neighbor
You will not find any completely silent generator. Even the most silent generator like Honda produces at least around 50 dB of sound while running. you’ll want to minimize the noise it produces as much as possible. So, your neighbor could be irritated while running the generator. And the fume of the generator is another health hazard for the neighbor. So, this point is crucial.
Creative Ways to Hide an Outdoor Generator
Now that we’ve covered the considerations, let’s explore some ideas for hiding your outdoor generator:
- Build a Soundproof Enclosure: This is one of the most effective ways to hide your generator and minimize noise. You can construct an enclosure out of soundproof materials like thick foam or insulation, or purchase a pre-made enclosure designed specifically for generators. Be sure to leave enough ventilation to keep the generator running safely.
- Use Landscaping to Conceal the Generator: If you’re looking for a more natural approach, consider using landscaping to hide your generator. You can plant shrubs or trees around the generator to create a natural barrier, or use trellises or lattice panels to create a visual screen.
- Paint the Generator to Blend in with Its Surroundings: Another way to minimize the visual impact of your generator is to paint it to blend in with your home or yard. You can use spray paint specifically designed for outdoor use, and choose a color that matches the surrounding area.
how to hide a generator with landscaping?
Landscaping can be an effective way to hide an outdoor generator and minimize its visual impact on your yard. Here are some steps to consider when using landscaping to conceal your generator:
- Choose the Right Plants: When selecting plants to use for landscaping around your generator, choose ones that are dense and have thick foliage. Shrubs, evergreens, and small trees are all good options. Make sure to choose plants that are appropriate for your climate and soil type.
- Create a Barrier: Use your plants to create a barrier around the generator. You can plant them directly around the generator, or create a raised bed or planter box to contain them. Be sure to leave enough space for ventilation and access for maintenance.
- Plan the Layout: Before planting your landscaping, plan out the layout to ensure that your generator is fully concealed. Consider the angle from which it will be viewed and adjust the placement of the plants accordingly.
- Add Decorative Elements: To further disguise your generator, you can add decorative elements such as rocks or boulders around the base of the plants. This can create a more natural and cohesive look.
- Maintain Your Landscaping: Once you have planted your landscaping, it’s important to maintain it properly. Be sure to water and fertilize your plants regularly, and prune them as needed to keep them from becoming overgrown.
By using landscaping to hide your generator, you can create a natural and attractive barrier that not only conceals your generator but also enhances the overall look of your yard.
Hide Generator Ideas With Landscaping
Here are some most unique and easy-to-hide portable and whole-house generators with landscaping.
floral landscaping for the front yard to hide the generator
This is a great idea to hide your generator in the front yard. Also, you could reshape this type of landscape even in the backyard. A combination of flora and concrete makes it lucrative indeed.
recycled items with flora
If you want to place your generator beside the garden, this landscaping idea could be awesome. You just need some recycled wood or wooden fence to cover your generator. Also, you could attach a shed over the generator.
Hide your generator with multiple colorful fences
This could be an excellent idea. No doubt, these landscaping ideas will increase the beauty of your backyard and you can keep your generator safe.
Landscaping with large shrubs
If you love large shrubs then you could use these types of plants and shrubs to hide your generator.
cover your generator with portable sheds inside the plants
Large or medium-sized generators are bulky to handle. You could use generator sheds to keep your generator running in adverse weather.
Best Plants and shrubs to hide the generator
Most of the shrubs are fast-growing. Also, you will be rewarded with mindblowing flowers annually. Here is the list of 5 fast-growing shrubs to hide your generator outside. Also, you can use these shrubs as a privacy fence. Let’s explore.
Arborvitae needs low maintenance. It tolerates almost all types of weather. moreover, its evergreen foliage creates a dense barrier. So, apart from hiding your generator, it works as the privacy fence for your backyard.
Skip Laurel could be 10 feet tall and it is fast growing. Also, you will be rewarded with beautiful annual flowers.
Hicks Yew is another low-maintenance shrub to hide your generator. It doesn’t need extra care like other shrubs and plants in your garden.
English laurel is also known as cherry laurel. This privacy screen could be 8 to 10 feet long. You can cultivate this English laurel in a sunny place by providing the right amount of water.
There are more than 200 species of bamboo available in the world. Bamboos are shrubs or grass. By picking the right species of bamboo you can hide your generator completely with enhancing the beauty of your backyard.
Tips for Maintaining a Hidden Generator
Once you’ve hidden your generator, it’s important to maintain it properly to ensure it runs safely and efficiently. Here are some tips for maintaining a hidden generator:
- Check the oil and filters regularly: Just because your generator is hidden doesn’t mean you can neglect its maintenance. Check the oil and filters regularly to ensure they’re clean and functioning properly.
- Ensure proper ventilation: Make sure your generator has enough ventilation to run safely, even if it’s enclosed.
- Be cautious when working with the generator: Remember that your generator can be dangerous if mishandled, so always follow proper safety procedures when working with it.
- Best Portable Generator for Refrigerator
- Best Portable Generator Covers While Running
- How to Keep Generator from Freezing?
How to Hide Standby generator?
Standby generators are large. Most importantly they are permanently installed. So, you should have a solid plan to hide your standby generator.
You can use the plants or shrubs as landscaping to hide your generator. Also, you could create a generator shed with wood or plastic items to make it attractive. Dont forget about security while installing a standby generator.
how to hide a Generac generator?
Generac has both standby and portable generators. If you have a portable Generac generator, you could install a generator shed to keep your generator permanently. Also, you could plant some shrubs to make them attractive.
No doubt, hiding an outdoor generator can be a challenge. With some creativity and planning, you can minimize its impact on your yard and your neighbors. Whether you choose to build an enclosure, use landscaping to conceal the generator, or paint it to blend in with its surroundings, be sure to keep safety and maintenance in mind. With these tips, you can enjoy the benefits of a generator without the eyesore and noise.
Generators are essential equipment that provides backup power in case of power outages. However, during cold weather, generators can be prone to freezing, which can cause significant damage to their...
Another good news from Jackery! They have launched their brand new Jackery solar generator 1000 pro at IFA 2022. You know IFA is one of the most appealing trade shows for consumer electronics and...