When it comes to portable generators, reliability, and power output are key considerations. The Westinghouse iGen4500 is a popular choice among users who seek a dependable and versatile portable generator for various applications.
In this post, we will cover the features, pros, cons, and ideal use cases for the iGen4500 so that you can get accurate and clear information about iGen4500.
|18 x 10 x 15.5 inches
|Two 120V Outlets, TT-30R RV Outlet, 2 USB Ports
|18-hours at 25% load
|Remote Start, Electric and Recoil Start
Westinghouse iGen4500 Review
- Engine type and power output: The iGen4500 is powered by a 224cc, 4-stroke OHV engine, delivering a peak output of 4,500 watts and a continuous output of 3,700 watts.
- Fuel capacity and runtime: With a 3.4-gallon fuel tank, the iGen4500 boasts an impressive runtime of up to 18 hours at 25% load.
- Noise level and THD rating: The generator operates at a noise level of 52 dBA and has a THD rating of less than 3%, making it suitable for sensitive electronics.
Portability and design
- Weight and dimensions: Weighing 98 pounds and measuring 24.5 x 17.5 x 20.5 inches, the iGen4500 is compact and relatively portable.
- Integrated wheels and telescoping handle: The generator features built-in wheels and a telescoping handle, making it easy to transport.
- Control panel layout: The user-friendly control panel provides easy access to all essential functions and outlets.
Performance and fuel efficiency
- Efficiency Mode switch: The iGen4500 offers an Efficiency Mode, which adjusts engine speed based on load, improving fuel economy.
- Fuel consumption rates: On average, the generator consumes 0.19 gallons per hour, making it a fuel-efficient option.
- Performance under various loads: The iGen4500 maintains consistent power output and fuel efficiency under different load conditions.
Connectivity and convenience
- Remote start and stop feature: The iGen4500 comes with a remote key fob, allowing you to start and stop the generator from a distance.
- LED display and status indicators: The LED display shows real-time data such as power output, remaining runtime, and fuel level.
- Built-in USB ports and outlets: The generator has two 120V 20A outlets, one 120V 30A outlet, and two USB ports, providing versatile connectivity options.
Pros and Cons of Westinghouse iGen4500
- High power output: The iGen4500 delivers ample power to meet most users’ needs.
- Quiet operation: With a 52 dBA noise level, the generator is quiet enough for use in residential areas or campsites.
- Fuel efficiency: The Efficiency Mode and low fuel consumption rates make the iGen4500 an economical choice.
- Easy to use and maneuver: The integrated wheels, telescoping handle, and user-friendly control panel make the generator easy to operate and transport.
- Multiple connectivity options: The built-in USB ports and outlets cater to various power needs.
- Weight: At 98 pounds, the iGen4500 may be heavier than some competing models.
- Price point: The generator’s price may be higher than that of some competitors.
- Limited parallel capability: The iGen4500 has no built-in parallel capability, but an optional parallel kit is available for purchase.
Ideal Use Cases for Westinghouse iGen4500
- Camping and RV trips: The iGen4500’s quiet operation, compact design, and sufficient power output make it an excellent choice for camping and RV enthusiasts who need a reliable energy source for their electronics, lighting, and small appliances.
- Tailgating and outdoor events: With its portability and multiple connectivity options, the iGen4500 is perfect for powering grills, sound systems, and televisions during tailgating parties or other outdoor events.
Home backup power
- Essential appliances and electronics: The iGen4500 provides enough power to keep essential appliances like refrigerators, freezers, and medical equipment running during power outages, as well as safely charge sensitive electronics such as laptops and smartphones.
- Power outages and emergency preparedness: Given its long runtime and fuel efficiency, the iGen4500 is an ideal backup power source during emergencies or natural disasters, ensuring you have access to electricity when it’s needed most.
Worksite power supply
- Construction and renovation projects: The iGen4500 can be used to power various tools and equipment on construction or renovation sites, providing a reliable power source for contractors and workers.
- Remote job sites with limited power access: The portable generator is well-suited for off-grid locations or remote job sites where access to electricity is limited, ensuring that essential equipment remains operational.
Maintenance and Troubleshooting
Routine maintenance requirements
- Oil changes and filters: Regular oil changes are essential for optimal generator performance. Check the oil level before each use and change the oil according to the manufacturer’s recommended intervals. Replace the oil filter during oil changes to ensure smooth engine operation.
- Spark plug replacement: Inspect the spark plug regularly for wear and carbon buildup. Replace the spark plug as recommended by the manufacturer or when signs of wear are visible.
- Air filter maintenance: Clean the air filter regularly to ensure proper airflow and optimal engine performance. Replace the air filter as needed, according to the manufacturer’s guidelines.
Troubleshooting common issues
- Generator not starting: a. Check the fuel level and ensure the generator has fresh gasoline. b. Inspect the spark plug and replace it if necessary. c. Make sure the engine switch and fuel valve are in the correct positions. d. If the generator still doesn’t start, consult the user manual or contact Westinghouse customer support for assistance.
- Overload or output issues: a. Ensure the generator is not overloaded by calculating the total wattage of connected appliances and devices. b. Reset the circuit breaker if it has tripped. c. Disconnect non-essential devices to reduce the load on the generator. d. If output issues persist, consult the user manual or seek professional assistance.
- Unusual noises or vibrations: a. Check for loose or damaged components and tighten or replace as needed. b. Ensure the generator is placed on a level surface to minimize vibrations. c. Inspect the exhaust system for damage or blockages. d. If the issue persists, consult the user manual or contact Westinghouse customer support.
The Westinghouse iGen4500 comes with a limited warranty that covers defects in materials and workmanship. The warranty period typically includes:
- Residential use: 3 years
- Commercial use: 1 year
This warranty ensures that any issues arising from manufacturing defects will be addressed by Westinghouse through repair or replacement of the affected parts, as long as the generator has been used and maintained according to the manufacturer’s guidelines.
It’s essential to register your generator after purchase to activate the warranty and ensure the smooth processing of any warranty claims. For complete warranty terms and conditions, consult the user manual or visit the Westinghouse website.
Comparison With the Similar Inverter Generator
Now, let’s compare with a similar inverter generator in this range.
Probably, Honda is the most popular inverter generator. But unfortunately, Honda doesn’t have an inverter generator with such power wattage. You will get the 4500-watt generator from the Honda which is not an inverter generator. That is an economical series generator.
However, for your convenience, I have counted the Honda EU3000IS. This one comes with 3000-watt power. Yes, it is super like, but this generator’s price is way higher than the Westinghouse igen4500.
Let’s compare it with another popular inverter generator that comes with 4500-watt power. I Briggs & Stratton P4500 is almost similar to the Westinghouse igen4500.
The main drawback of this Briggs & Stratton P4500 is the noise level. It produces 61-decibel noise. On the other hand, the Westinghouse igen4500 has only 52 decibels.
Compared with the price, Briggs & Stratton comes with the lowest price tag. If you have a budget problem and sacrifice the noise issue, you could consider the Briggs & Stratton P4500.
Interested in the Westinghouse wgen3600? Read this article here.
Final Thoughts and Recommendations
After examining the features, benefits, and potential drawbacks of the Westinghouse iGen4500 portable generator, it’s clear that this model offers a solid balance of power, efficiency, and versatility.
With its high power output, quiet operation, fuel efficiency, and user-friendly design, the iGen4500 is an excellent choice for a range of applications, including recreational activities, home backup power, and worksite power supply.
Yes, synthetic oil can generally be used in generators. It offers superior lubrication, improved resistance to temperature variations, and longevity compared to conventional oil, which can enhance...
In today's digital age, our dependency on computers and other electronic devices is undeniable. But what happens when a power outage occurs? This is where generators come in. However, is it safe to...