Are you looking for a generator for your central or window Air Conditioner? Well, an Air conditioner is a much-needed electronic during the scorching summer. Electricity goes off during the disaster and emergence. But you can not live without a continuous electricity supply.
So, a generator could be a good alternative to the primary power supply to run your air conditioner and other home appliances.
However, in this article, I will discuss some of the best portable generators for running central air conditioners and window AC. You will be able to run both your central air or window ac with these generators.
So, keep reading and after reaching the end you will have found the perfect generator for your home.
Types of generators for running Air conditioners
There are several types of generators that can be used to power air conditioners. Here’s a list of commonly used generator types:
- Portable Gasoline Generators: These generators are versatile and widely available. They run on gasoline and are suitable for powering small to medium-sized air conditioners. They are portable and can be used in various settings.
- Portable Propane Generators: Propane generators are similar to gasoline generators but use propane as their fuel source. They are known for cleaner burning and quieter operations compared to gasoline generators.
- Inverter Generators: Inverter generators are popular for their quiet operation and fuel efficiency. They produce clean and stable power, making them suitable for sensitive electronics, including air conditioners. Inverter generators are available in both gasoline and propane variants.
- Diesel Generators: Diesel generators are durable and provide a reliable power source. They are known for their fuel efficiency and are often used in larger commercial settings. Diesel generators can handle high loads and are suitable for running heavy-duty air conditioning systems.
- Standby Generators: Standby generators are permanently installed outside a building and are designed to automatically provide power during an outage. These generators are typically powered by natural gas or propane. They can be connected to the air conditioner and other essential appliances, ensuring uninterrupted operation.
- Solar Generators: Solar generators use solar panels to harness energy from the sun. They are an eco-friendly option and can be used to power smaller air conditioning units. Solar generators may require a battery backup system to ensure continuous power supply during cloudy or nighttime conditions.
Portable Generator for Air-Conditioner – Comparison Table
- Weight: 112.5 pounds
- 4750 starting watt and 3750 running watt
- 223cc ohv engine
- Weight: 224 pounds
- 12000 surge watt and 9500 rated watt
- Gasoline and propane compatible
- Weight: 198 lb.
- 10000 starting watt and 8000 running watt
- Electric start (battery included)
In-Depth Review of the Generator for AC
Here is an in-depth review of the top portable generator for the air conditioner in the market. Let’s get started!
Duromax xp12000eh is my first choice to run your air conditioner in the home. This dual-fuel portable generator is literally a giant to power the central ac of your home as well as other home appliances at a time.
This giant portable generator comes with 12000 starting watts and 95000 running watts. That means you could run both your central ac and window ac (if you have one) with this generator.
This one is a dual-fuel generator and you can run it both by using gasoline or propane. Moreover, you could use the generator in both 120 volts and 240 volts. But it works great with the 120 volts.
- Epa and carb Complaints
- Perfect for ac and home backup
- Worth of money
- Sturdy generator with metal enclosure
- Portable but heavy to move this giant generator
Champion is another popular generator brand across the USA. This is one of the best-selling generators of Champion with a great positive review. You will get all the modern features here.
Like the previous one, this is a dual-fuel generator. You can run this generator by using both propane and gasoline. If you run your generator with gasoline you will get 9375 starting watts and 7500 running watts.
On the other hand, if you run your generator with propane you will get 8400 starting watts and 6750 running watts. Additionally, this particular model comes with a low oil shut-off sensor. So, you could run your generator at night without any hassle.
It is very easy to start this generator since it comes with electric start features.
- 3-year warranty and lifetime free support
- Perfect for home backup, DIY projects, and outdoor activities
- 8 hours runtime on gasoline at 50% load
- 5.5 hours runtime on propane at 50% load
- Low oil shut off
- Durable and sturdy
- A bit heavy
- Not perfect for tailgating or camping
If you are looking for a lighter portable generator to run a small air conditioner, you could consider this Wen 56475. It comes with 4750 starting watts and 3750 running watts. You could run the window ac with this generator easily. Even you can run the central air of a tiny house along with other lighter appliances with this portable generator.
This one is one of the best budget generators to run the air conditioner. Even you can use this generator for tailgating and camping. This portable generator is very easy to handle. You can easily track the oil change and maintenance schedule with a digital readout system.
The weight of the portable generator is 112.5 pounds. It comes with a foldable handle and wheel. So you can easily handle this generator without the bits of help of others.
- Carb & EPA iii compliant
- Keyless electric start
- Low-oil shutdown feature
- Overload protection
- 2-year warranty
- A bit noisy
If you are looking for a large but lighter generator, you could consider this Generac 7676 gp8000e. The weight of this 8000-watt portable generator is only 198 lb. That is comparatively lower than other generators in the market.
It comes with power rush technology. Here you will get 10000 starting watts and 8000 running watts. Comparing the weight, this one is one of the best portable generators for ac indeed.
This model has a large fuel tank. You can run the generator for 11 hours at 50% load without any hassle. It is very easy to use since it comes with electric starts. The maintenance process is also easy here. It has an OHV engine with a good lubrication system. So, your engine will remain good for a long period.
- Power rush advanced technology to get 30% more starting wattage
- Easy to use
- Large fuel tank
- Easy to move with heavy-duty wheel
- Tolerable noise level
- Worthy price
- The primary setup is a bit hard for the beginner
This is another awesome dual-fuel giant portable generator on this list. If you intend to back up your home as well as the air conditioner you could go for this sturdy generator.
This Westinghouse wgen9500df comes with 12500 peak wattage and 9500 running wattage. That is enough for any house indeed. Moreover, this is a dual-fuel generator. So you have the flexibility to run the generator with both gasoline and propane.
Most importantly, this generator is transfer switch-ready. So, you don’t need to face extra hassle here. You could use this large portable generator for your RV as well as your home.
This giant portable generator comes with a moveable wheel. So you can move it from one place to another. Though the weight is pretty high.
- 3-year limited warranty
- Epa and carb compliant
- Automatic low-fuel shutdown
- Gfci outlets
- 3 ways to start
- Remote start
- A bit heavy to move for an individual
If you are looking for a mid-range portable inverter generator, you could consider this Briggs & Stratton p4500. Since this one is an inverter generator, it is safe for sensitive electronics. Moreover, it is fuel-efficient and produces less noise than other portable generators.
I love this Briggs & Stratton p4500 for its exclusive features. This RV-ready portable generator is built with quiet power technology. Besides the electric start features, it has a carbon monoxide guard. You will get these features in very few generators.
You will get 3700 running wattage and 4500 peak wattage from this generator. The fuel capacity of this generator is 3.5 gallons. You can run this generator for 16 hours at a 25% load.
- Produce safe electricity
- Carbon monoxide protection guard
- Quiet operation
- Telescoping handle
- Automatically engine seed adjust
- Perfect for window ac
- No parallel connectivity
- Not for the central AC
This is another portable generator from Champion. This one is large enough to power all the window ac and central air of your house. This generator comes with 15000 starting watts and 12000 running watts.
I love the noise level of this generator. The noise level of this generator is only 78 dba. You can run this generator for 9 hours with gasoline.
This giant portable generator comes with a 717cc champion Milwaukee series v-twin engine. So, you can expect the best performance from this generator.
The maintenance of this generator is very easy. You can start this generator even in cold weather with a single push. Since it is a large-size generator, it is designed to comfortably carry.
- 3-year limited warranty
- Perfect for central ac as well as a home backup
- Lift hook to carry
- Cold start technology
- Comes with a durable steel frame
- No parallel capability
- Too heavy as portable
- No wheels
- What Size Generator to Run Air Conditioner?
- Unbeatable Black Friday Deals on Honda Generators
- Oil Filter for Generac Generator
- Best Generators for Sump Pump
what size generator to run window ac?
The size of the generator needed to run a window air conditioner depends on the specific power requirements of the AC unit. To determine the appropriate generator size, you’ll need to know the following information:
- Power Consumption (Watts): Check the AC unit’s specifications or label to find the power consumption in watts. It may be listed as “W” or “Watts.”
- Starting Surge or Running Load: Some air conditioners require a higher initial surge of power to start up before settling into their regular running load. This surge can be significantly higher than the unit’s running load, so it’s important to consider this when sizing a generator.
Once you have this information, you can estimate the generator size needed. As a general guideline, it’s recommended to use a generator with a capacity of 1.5 to 2 times the running load of the AC unit. This extra capacity allows for the starting surge and provides a buffer for any other appliances connected to the generator.
For example, if your window air conditioner has a running load of 1,000 watts and a starting surge of 2,500 watts, you would ideally look for a generator with a capacity of around 1,500 to 2,500 watts (or higher).
what size generator for 15000 btu ac?
To determine the size of the generator needed for a 15,000 BTU air conditioner, we need to convert the BTU value to watts since generator capacity is typically measured in watts. The conversion from BTU to watts is as follows:
1 BTU = 0.29307107 watts
So, for a 15,000 BTU air conditioner:
15,000 BTU * 0.29307107 = 4,396 watts (approximately)
Therefore, a generator with a capacity of around 4,400 to 4,500 watts would be suitable for running a 15,000 BTU air conditioner. This capacity provides enough power to handle the running load of the air conditioner and accommodate any starting surge. It’s always recommended to choose a generator with a slightly higher capacity to ensure sufficient power supply and avoid overloading the generator.
Long story short, the process is pretty simple select the best generator for your home air conditioner. You just need to consider the budget and your demand. Calculate your wattage demand then go for the generator.
Here I have covered a 4000-watt to a 12000-watt portable generator for your air conditioner. I hope you have found the right generator already. Good luck!
Yes, synthetic oil can generally be used in generators. It offers superior lubrication, improved resistance to temperature variations, and longevity compared to conventional oil, which can enhance...
In today's digital age, our dependency on computers and other electronic devices is undeniable. But what happens when a power outage occurs? This is where generators come in. However, is it safe to...